Road traffic accident claims

We can help you make a claim if you suffered an injury in a road traffic accident that wasn’t your fault. And we are committed to ensuring you receive financial justice by obtaining as much compensation as possible.

Our caring and sympathetic approach ensures your needs are our top priority, and we aim for your claim to proceed as quickly and smoothly as possible.

If you can’t work due to your injuries, we’ll also ensure you receive support and advice about loss of earnings and rehabilitation treatment.

How long do I have to make a claim?

Claims can be made within three years of an incident, but ideally sooner and preferably as soon as possible after it’s happened.

Types of road traffic injuries

Road traffic accidents are the most common cause of personal injury in the UK. Injuries vary in severity but can include

  • whiplash to the neck or back
  • fractured bones
  • amputation
  • brain injuries
  • spinal injuries
  • psychological symptoms

You may have been a

  • driver – we can help you claim compensation even if the driver of the other vehicle was not insured, or if they left the scene and are unidentified.
  • passenger – passenger claims are most often successful as they are usually found to be the innocent party.
  • motorcyclist – motorcyclists are vulnerable and can be left with serious injuries. We help motorcyclists and their families recover the maximum amount of compensation available.
  • cyclist – these injuries are becoming more frequent as more people are cycling for health and environmental reasons.

Steps to take if you have a road traffic accident


  1. Seek medical attention as soon as possible (even if you didn’t get it at the time as some symptoms can develop later).
  2. Get the driver’s details if possible – registration number, name, address, insurance name and policy number.
  3. Take photos of the vehicles and the surrounding road and area. This will help us if liability is disputed.
  4. Inform the police of the accident if necessary.
  5. Notify your insurance company as soon as possible to ensure you’re covered.
  6. Keep a record of any expenses resulting from the injury (for example, medical and travel) and keep receipts.

Even if a driver doesn’t stop and is untraced, we can still pursue your claim through the Motor Insurers Bureau.

When to involve the police


Always report an accident to the police if the other driver fails to stop or refuses to provide their details. These are both criminal offences.

Contact the police if there’s a dispute about the cause of the accident so they can attend the scene and objectively decide who is to blame.

Talk to us about how we can help you.

Complete our personal injury form.

Or contact us for a free, no-obligation face-to-face or telephone appointment.


01246 956300